Seach Independent Gamer Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Miyamoto calling it quits

The game designer says it's time for him to retire his current position.


Shigeru Miyamoto, who has been with Nintendo since the start of his career and has spawned such great creations such as The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros and others will step down from his current position at Nintendo to work on smaller projects. A move which he calls "retiring".


“Inside our office, I’ve been recently declaring, ‘I’m going to retire, I’m going to retire,’” Miyamoto said through his interpreter. “I’m not saying that I’m going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position.”

“What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself,” Miyamoto said. “Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.”

“The reason why I’m stressing that is that unless I say that I’m retiring, I cannot nurture the young developers,” he said. “After all, if I’m there in my position as it is, then there’s always kind of a relationship. And the young guys are always kind of in a situation where they have to listen to my ideas. But I need some people who are growing up much more than today.”

Miyamoto will still remain at Nintendo but will work with smaller projects. One project is said to start in 2012. Miyamoto is 59 years old and I could understand his point of view as a developer myself. I'm sure he just wants to relax and work on less hectic projects where he could take some time off if he wishes during the middle of the project. He also wants to work on projects that don't take years to develop.

I wish Miyamoto the very best and hope he finds what he's looking for in a different team. It's going to be very interesting to see where all his created franchises go from here.


Source

No comments:

Post a Comment