Seach Independent Gamer Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Nintendo 3DS and Piracy.

A new letter from Nintendo pretty much tells you what the company may plan if they detect something illegal with your hardware.


GeoHotz said it best when it comes to homebrew on a system "How much of that system do you really own". If I purchase something I have the right to do whatever the hell I want with it and no one can tell me otherwise. If I decide to drop it from a 100 story building onto the ground or drop it in water that's my own business. I paid for that console with my hard earned cash. While I do not condone piracy and do support any method that any company comes up with to fight piracy, I hate it when companies threaten you the way Sony and now Nintendo do.

Nintendo of Japan has already confirmed via a leaked letter to a retailer that if there is any activity within the 3DS that Nintendo doesn't support, the console can become bricked via a Firmware update.



"Dear customers who resell Nintendo 3DS "
"non purchase able 3DS system"
In case if you use equipment which is illegal or unapproved by Nintendo or if you do customization which is unapproved by Nintendo, there is a possibility that Nintendo 3DS become non bootable by system update.


- From Nintendo 3DS terms of agreement
Because of terms of agreement above, Enterking refuses to buy 3DS system with record of illegal or unapproved equipment.

"Request to format before you sell"
To protect from leaking your personal and internet connection information, We ask customer to format system. In case purchasing could not be established after you format 3DS system, Enterking is not responsible for lost datas and settings. Please understand before you format.

The Question still stands. How much of that console do you really own?


Source

No comments:

Post a Comment